By Gina Kennedy

By Gina Kennedy

EXIT SLIPS, A Meaningful Ending to a Great Day!

     My JOURNEY TO FIND THE PERFECT EXIT STRATEGY!
    Exit-Slips were originally designed so that students could write responses to random questions at the end of each school day covering the topics they learned.  They were intended to incorporate a segment of writing into the content area and create opportunities for higher level thinking.
     Years ago, before exit slips became a "buzz word" or strategy for learning; I used to write two questions on the board for the students to answer and hand to me as they walked out each day.  I used questions from concepts that were relevant to what they were presently learning. This did provide for a solid review and I was able to "authentically" assess their understanding of the day's lessons.  

.
     Over a period of time, I realized that my end of the day questioning strategy was just doubling up on the reviews I was already providing after each lesson and it wasn't a "doable" day to day strategy to maintain.   As any elementary teacher can tell you, unexpected situations can arise at the end of any school day when you're dealing with ten-year-olds.
   
     Through trial and error I determined a much more valuable experience for exit slips would be random reviews of all of the grade level standards in each subject.  On the weekends I would create four questions for each day and each subject, copy and cut them; and I'd be good to go for the rest of the week.  I'd pass the exit slips out fifteen minutes before it was time to "clean up" and I had a excellent method for authentic assessment  to use as data to plan classroom interventions.
    Like it or not, standardized test preparation has become an important part of our existence if we teach in a grade level that is tested.  Whereas I felt drained trying to continually come up with meaningful assessments, I created exit slips for 4th and 5th graders directly tied to the subjects and standards that are being tested by the state.  I've created one set for students taking the STAAR tests in Texas and one set for students who will be tested in other states that are using the Common Core standards.  I've had great success with my own students using this strategy and I hope you'll find it useful as well in your classroom.



This is a sample of my "4th Grade Common Core Daily Exit Slips":


This is a sample of my "5th Grade STAAR Daily Exit Slips":



To purchase COMPLETE SETS OF MY "Daily Test Prep Exit Slips" I've provided the links below to each product at my TPT store: