Of course in 4th grade you are simply a mimic of your parent's political viewpoints; but either way we were involved and it was the foundation of my strong interest in politics today. Yes, I'm a news junkie and proud of it.
How can we make sure that students are informed about what’s going on around the world? That they are armed with the tools to be able to distinguish between opinion and fact; between evidence-based statements and empty rhetoric; between sensationalism and solid journalism? Just like most other things in life, the best way to do all that is through practice.
Why Should Teachers Cover Current Events in the Classroom:
- To provide support and resources for students who are directly or indirectly impacted by such events.
- To help ease some of the confusion, anger, and pain that would be felt by many students.
- To foster a safe environment that supports equity and diversity in education.
- To give silenced students (whether by circumstance or choice) an opportunity to express how they feel.
- To connect the real world to school and community.
|Click Here to Download the Free Presidential Debate Student Response Sheet!|